Thursday 23 March 2017

Snorkelling

This post is being added long after we have returned home, but there is a story that just hasn't yet been told.



When we arrived at Hotel Villa Kiin, we (of course) immediately noticed a large, shallow, and crystal clear lagoon right in front of the hotel. It didn't take us long to start wading around. As we approached the hotel on the other side, the water was just over waist deep. We were amazed to find the beginnings of a small reef and schools (hundreds) of fish circling around us.

Within a couple of days I had bought a snorkelling mask of my own and was even more amazed at what I found when I entered the water. I also took note that boats were regularly anchoring on North Beach and groups of people were walking over here for the experience. These were paying customers.

Debby was able to experience the fish swimming around her, but could not see any detail. I decided to visit a nearby dive shop and rent a full face snorkelling mask. She was willing to try and was amazed at what she could see. I held her arm as she swam, and guided her to where the fish were. Her excitement was palpable.

The very next day I went and bought her a mask of her own so she could try it out whenever she wanted. She wasn't comfortable on her own but was excited to go out with me. 

Walking by the dive shop, Debby had to go in and share her excitement. The owners were pleased to introduce her to Bob Frank (Scuba Bob) a few days later. Bob is the supplier of the Aria Ocean Reef mask and he was very excited because he is promoting the product for people with disabilities. He first asked if he could film Debby's story, then if he could put the video on his Facebook page. He gave a mask to me so that we could share the experience.

This is a screen grab from Deb's video. If you click the link below you will find the whole thing on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment